Herbs - Medicinal Plants
Scientific name: Malva sylvestris
Other names: Cheeses, High mallow, Tall mallow, Malva
Mallow is a herbaceous biennial and perennial up to 1.5 m high. Its stem is very hairy and woody. The root is fusiform. The flowers are pink or purple with darker purple veins. The fruit, which is disc-shaped, decomposes after ripening.
Mallow is distributed over most of the planet as it is easily adapted to different types of soils. The mallow main benefits are in flowers and leaves.
The plant is original from the southern region of Eurasia. It currently can be found in subtropical latitudes around the globe.
Mucilage of uronic nature (10-15% in flowers, leaves 8-10%),
Anthocyanosides (7%): malvin,
Vitamins A, B1, B2 and C.
Among the properties of the Mallow are: demulcent, anti-inflammatory, antitussive, laxative, slightly diuretic. It´s indicated in cases of influenza, colds, pharyngitis, emphysema, asthma. Constipation, gastritis, ulcers, diarrhea, oliguria, cystitis, obesity.
In topical use: glossitis, stomatitis, oral thrush, vulvovaginitis, blepharitis, conjunctivitis, wounds, abscesses, boils, insect bites.
No contraindications have been reported related to Mallow, however the alcohol-based preparations for oral administration to children under two years is not recommended.
- Mallow Infusion: one teaspoon per cup. Boil two minutes and infuse for ten. Four or more times daily.
- Fluid Extract (1:1) stabilized: a teaspoon, two or three times a day, with the infusion.
- Syrup (5% extract fluid): 1-3 teaspoons daily.
- Decoction: 30 to 50 g/l boil for 15 minutes. Apply in compresses, washes, eye baths (isotonizer), mouthwashes, gargles, douches.
- Warm poultices of mallow leaves with flax flour, for abscesses and boils.
- Mallow juice (fresh plant) against insect bites.
The mallow also can be eaten as food, in salads mixed with other vegetables. Moreover its medicinal properties, is a plant very rich in vitamin A, B, C, and E. The resulting liquid from boil a handful of flowers is also a good facial toner.